Pablo Egaña Del Sol

Strategies to Foster Sustainable Energy Consumption

Pablo Egana-delSol

Abstract

Total world energy in 2015 came from 81.4%fossil fuels (oil, coal, and natural gas), 9.7%biofuels, 4.9% nuclear, and 4.0% renewable(hydro, wind, solar, and geothermal). Only18.5% of the energy was converted into electric-ity, as most of the other 81.5% was used for heatand transportation (IEA 2017).There are three major segmentations of theworld delivered energy consumption, namely:buildings, industrial, and transportation. The mixof energy use in the residential, commercial, andindustrial sectors varies widely by region,depending on a combination of regional factors,such as the availability of energy resources; levelsof economic development; and political, social,and demographic factors. However, the transpor-tation sector is dominated by liquid fuels (EIA2016).Electric energy is energy generated by movingelectric charges (or kinetic energy). The faster theelectric charges move the more electrical energythey carry. Electric energy is most commonlymeasured either in joules (J) or watt-hours (Wh)and is represented as a constant power over aperiod.